Saturday, July 6, 2013

Beijing Life & Missing Olympians

Getting used to the life here has been quite fun but of course I haven't forgot the US back home :) So for fourth of July what can be more American than some McDonalds! 


Although that was about all the celebrating that was done haha Also getting used to the different cultural practices as well, everyone uses parasols because the sun can be quite intense and no one seems to want to be tan. Very different from people back at home probably  laying out in the sun as I speak! 


I also got my very own bike to ride around Beijing and see it like the true natives do! It's super pink.... 


Today we also went to the Olympic Park to see the Bird's nest and Water Cube.  This was my first sight of it! 


We first saw the Bird's Nest and took lots of fun pictures! 


We then went to the inside of the complex in which the presence of the past Olympics was really felt. It was easy to imagine how it made so many peoples' dreams come true, but how it also broke the dreams of many others.  



The architecture was amazing, the way the very top row of seats twisted and turned with the structure was so beautiful. 







But I definitely felt throughout all the slightly worn stadium that there was an emptiness, as if this great building which cost over 430 million to build had already served its purpose and seemed to be more of a relic of something great than a living space. Later at night when everything was lit up the buildings looked amazing though! 





After this we went to Ghost Street (it's just a name it wasn't scary haha) and I had my first hotpot!!! I can't believe I missed out on all this delicious food all these years!!!  :P (Mom they also have Subways haha) 










Amazingly delicious!!! :) 谢谢!!再见!!

No comments:

Post a Comment